Here is a great recipe that we make at my house regularly and use for breakfast, sandwiches, and mini pizzas!
Keto sourdough style biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, softened but not melted
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 large whole eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (yes, low fat so the biscuits don’t come out too dense)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Two large mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Wire whisk
- Ice cream scoop like this one (with release lever)
- Big cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a big cookie sheet with parchment.
- In one bowl, mix the almond flour xanthan gum, coconut flour, flax meal, baking soda, and salt until well-mixed.
- Cut in three of the tablespoons of butter until no more big chunks are left. I used a hand mixer with wire beaters. This doesn’t have to be perfect.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites, eggs, and buttermilk for 5 minutes with a whisk so some air is incorporated. This, again, doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Thoroughly mix the egg mixture and the flour mixture until the dough is thick.
- Mix in the apple cider vinegar and the water until completely mixed. Do not over-mix it!
- Use ice-cream scoop to make mounds. Flatten each one down so it’s roughly 1 inch tall.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 mins on a wire rack, brush the tops with melted butter immediately before serving if you like.
- Store any leftovers in a loose container or paper bag. Note: if you put it in an airtight container, they will become sticky from condensation. You can remedy this by toasting them in the oven, or toaster oven, or even in the regular toaster if you’re careful.
Yield 18 biscuits – Nutrition per biscuit
- Kcal: 93
- Net carbs: 2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Total carbs (fiber + net): 6 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Fat: 6 g
One thought on “Grain-Free Keto Biscuits”