Indoorsy? Couch surfer? Just chillin? Who’s sore and tired from recent lack of activity? I’ve been there… recently even. But what can we do to escape the sedentary life?
Here are some practical tips! Note that if you’re sedentary from injury or illness, it’s especially important to check with your doctor before starting anything new.
1. Do it now! YES, now. This is the first step. Take a walk, even for 5 minutes outside, or do a lap around the house or the office. One of my favorite things to do when I’m bummin’ around is go to the store and walk around there with my headphones in (careful not to empty your wallet though).
2. Do it again. Do the same thing as the day before, or pick something else or something slightly more challenging. Take a 10 minute walk outside or walk around Costco instead of Target.
3. Use music. Or a podcast. Or something to distract from what’s happening and add enjoyment and/or learning.
4. Baby steps: Laps around the house or office or apartment complex; starting with 1 and gradually doing more.
5. Fitbit or other tracker: these are great for adding a self-competitive aspect with achievements to show progress.
6. NEAT: I never remember what this stands for but basically it means adding movement to all daily activities. E.g. parking farther away from the store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.
7. Set a timer. A good plan is to get a few minutes of movement every hour, even if it’s one of those “house laps” we talked about. I know folks who do pushups after every bathroom trip and call them “pissups” hahaha – anyway… that’s all I’ve got for today.